Thursday, June 4, 2009

Why do we use social media?

People used to live in fear of the internet and the information that might be exploited by maleficent forces.

Those days are gone.

Step one was buying our computers, software, flowers, birthday gifts, hotel reservations and airline tickets over the internet EVERY DAY. That was actually a pretty smooth transition even through the .net bust. It slowed, but it never redirected nor ceased.

Step two is MUCH more exciting. Many of us have spent hours documenting who we are and connecting virtually every important person to us through LinkedIn, Facebook, Plaxo, or Twitter. Our family members, friends, job histories, skills, recommendations, references, and even our management behavior profiles from PRADCO are displayed openly on LinkedIn. Our high school sweethearts from 30 years ago are there, the guy I ran over in the shopping center parking lot is there (so sorry, Scott!), and I even found my best drywall hanging partner ever in CA. NO one moved through the studs faster with a 12' sheet of 5/8" Firecode than me and Smedley. NO ONE! (;>)

If you can't figure out who I am through my profiles and dialogs on Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter...you aren't trying.

Why are we doing it? Because we enjoy knowing and being known by people who enhance or once enhanced our existence with their love, knowledge, energy, enthusiasm, and success. When we find ourselves surrounded by people who inspire us with their qualities, it is uplifting. That is why we worship movie stars; they are us on the screen - extended to levels of brilliance, strength, righteousness, and vision that we mere mortals can only pray for. We set aside who they are in real life and focus only on the character they have created on the screen.

I am connected with Marc Fleury because he is one of the most brilliant and simultaneously audacious technicians I have ever known. I am inspired by his
risk-taking and success. I am happy to have him in my movie.

I am connected with Gregory Morrison because he projects what all of us who went to Kellogg aspired to at the time - imminent professionalism, incredibly focused business savvy, and of boundless value to his company. Gregory is welcome anytime, anywhere.

I am connected to Celeste Murphy because I love her "fight", I am inspired that she is working SO hard to succeed, so unwilling to accept limitations and barriers to her own happiness. She is a winner.

My connections motivate me to be a better person, humble me frequently, inspire me when I am looking for extra breath, and keep me in my place. What a rich life.

Thank you, all.

It is a wonderful time to be alive,

- Baney!

No comments: